De la Salle presence in Amman
came as a response to Mgr. Nehme Sama’an’s personal invitation to open a
Lasalian school in the capital of Jordan, Amman.
A political turmoil takes place
in the Middle East. In the eyes of the Superiors in Rome, any new
foundation in the region is out of the question. New contacts are made
through the auspices of the French Ambassador to Jordan Mr. Dumarcay.
Mgr. Gori the Latin Patriarch of
Jerusalem graciously consents on the opening of our school in Amman.|
An authorisation is granted by the Government to open the school under the name « College de la Salle ». The school opens its doors for the first time in Jabal Amman, in a rented house near the grounds of the existing CMS School.
Three classes are ready to receive 50 pupils freshly registered for the coming school year to begin next October 2nd. By October 14th the number of pupils attains 118. A humble start by all accounts. :: 1952 The small rented house where the school had been functioning for the last two years turned out to be quite small, 333 pupils are crammed in the rooms previously converted into classrooms. Buying a piece of land became a priority.
A piece of land is bought near Abdali camp. Surprise among the parents: the land is situated out of the city limits. There are no roads to access to the property. It makes no sense to build an educational institution at such a distance. :: 1953 January 20th 1953
The plans to build the school are ready but it will take some time before obtaining the necessary authorizations from the ministries concerned. Our late King Hussein ascends to the throne of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
The excavations begin among the surprise from the local population.
The school opens its doors in the new building not yet finished. There are 350 pupils in the new construction while 89 children remain in the rented house in Jebal Amman.
Celebration day! Inauguration of the College de la Salle in the presence of various local and religious authorities.
It is the feast of St. John Baptist de la Salle, our Patron Saint and Founder. :: At present The school consists of 1250 pupils with a staff of about 80 highly qualified, well experienced teachers. The schools opens its doors to pupils willing to study for either the Jordanian certificate of Secondary Education or for IGCSE O-level and GCE A-level.